Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

While I'm writing, I get distracted

I'm working on some other articles for y'all, but I keep getting distracted by photographs.

Here is a fruit and vegetable merchant in my old neighborhood of Kadikoy, where I lived when I was a student during my semester abroad.

fruit!

Kitty corner from him was a fish stand.

misir carsisi means spice bazaar

And finally, my favorite way to travel is by dolmush. You can get on and get off anytime you want. If you get in at the dolmush station, such as in this photo, you simply wait until the dolmush is full and then it leaves. To pay, you pass your money up. If there is change, it gets passed back to you no matter where you are sitting. The driver follows a set route and you just tell him when you want to get off by saying either, "can i get out here, please?" or "a suitable place" (both in Turkish of course).

dolmush station

Not all dolmush are the same. Some drivers decorate theirs to the nines, with shag carpet on the dash and blue lights everywhere. Others have a few decorations on the sun visors and nothing more.

inside a dolmush at night

I now see that this photo makes my eyes hurt. It's difficult to see that on the tiny screen my camera provides. So I advise you to look at this photo only briefly. I cannot be held responsible for headaches caused by prolonged viewing. You have been warned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here