Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Frescoes are so amazing

On my first visit to Aya Sofia here in Trabzon, I failed to see some amazing work. A few weeks later I picked up a brochure from the tourist office and saw something like this photograph. I thought the brochure was lying! I was sure this wasn't there.

Aya Sofia Trabzon

Imagine my surprise when I went with Kyle when I saw this. Just thought I'd share some more.


People! Come and visit me so that you may see these things for yourself! But not until summer when I have vacation...

1 Comments:

  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger nicole said…

    The Aya Sofia here is much smaller than the one in Istanbul and nearly as grand, but as you can see it has some amazing frescoes. Check out my previous post to see other pictures.

    http://baglama.blogspot.com/2004/09/trabzon-in-morning-and-aya-sofia.html

    They both have had different uses over the centuries, some of them the same. Behind the Aya Sofia in Trabzon lies the foundation of the first church they built, about a sixteenth the size of the current building and maybe a hundrendth the size of the one in Istanbul.

    Thanks to everyone who has posted here!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here