Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

I spoke too soon

Isn't it always the case that when you release attatchment from something a wish you had, you get it?

Exactly twenty-four hours after writing my previous entry, I meet another American woman living in Trabzon, who also doesn't have any close friends around. I only got to speak with her for a whole 15 minutes, but the possiblity of frienship is good. She has a great laugh and laughs easily (like me!), is strong and independent, has lived abroad for some time (about two years) and is an English teacher. I'm excited to hang out with her. How did I meet her?

Yesterday evening, one of Emma's friends came to the school for a visit. She told us about an English teacher EFL conference that's happening at KTU (the Black Sea Technical University) until Friday and invited all of us to attend. "Awesome!" I thought. I've been feeling a bit frustrated with my evening class lately because they come in after a long day's work right after dinner and are so difficult to motivate at times. It was just the thing I needed. Not only did I meet this fantastic woman, I also met other English language teachers (all Turkish). A few of them invited me to their town 2 hours away for a visit. They said, "We need native-speakers in our class!"

After today's seminars, I went back to school and planned the most kick-ass lesson ever. The lesson went smoothly, my students learned what they needed, and the retained what they learned (at least for the two-hour lesson). Yahoo!

To close, let me comment on the Internet cafes music taste. Mostly the guys running various outfits listen to Turkish pop music, which I must admit grates on my nerves after a while. I love Turkish folk music, but I just can't jive with the pop, especially when I hear the same 8 songs in a constant loop. Sometimes they'll play American music, but it's usually Celine Dion or EMINEM (there are a couple EMINEM songs I like, but they don't play those--they play the ones I don't particularly care for). I think I have found my favorite Internet cafe now, after four months of searching. They don't play much Turkish pop music, nor do they play too much American pop music. What I like is that they play a variety of music. In fact, right now they are playing a song I used to listen to in college, bringing me back to a dark and smoky dorm room with my best friend and our boyfriends named Jeremy. Ah, those days!

Hm, I just discovered they are playing this song by pure accident. Apparently, they downloaded the song from the Internet and somebody, somewhere, confused the title of the song, "Evanescence" (by scorn), with the name of the band, Evanescence. Ha ha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here