Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Ah, the baglama

I had another lesson today, girl! It was super. I'm learing how to add ornamentation and it sounds so cool! I hope that one day I can play for all of you. At the moment I'm not very confident about playing for people, but I'll get there.

When I'm learning something new, it's so frustrating, because it takes a while for my fingers to catch up with my brain. After a while, I can do it, and I get flutters in my stomach and my fingers just dance.

Today I asked him who is oldest student is--one guess as to who that is. He has unlimited patience when it comes to my catching on. He realizes that when most people pick up the saz, they already know the songs so they catch on really quick. It'll take me a while longer to get the songs etched into my heart, but I tell you some of the already have it. I started learning one of my favorite songs today, and I'm so excited about practising! I have a music degree, but I've never been a dedicated praciticer--that's all changing now.

Well, time to practice now. La la la!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger rachelsa said…

    Hi Nicole,
    after five years someone reads your story...what me feel very nostalgic about turkey I love very much. I discovered Baglama nearly three years ago...Do you still play? I probably am the oldest student too. Can you recommend Marmara University if I do not speak turkish? (just a few words and more than basic grammar)
    all teh best to you
    Sarah

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here