Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Covered in Snow

Living in Trabzon let me forget what winter is really like. With temperatures generally around 50 degrees Fahrenheit, snow didn't come round very often.

The clouds in Istanbul have been almost continually letting down snow since I got here. This city doesn't usually get this much snow, so it's one big wet, slushy, sloppy mess here. On Monday I went to the Covered Bazaar and the surrounding area with Selim, and by the time I got home after several hours of trapesing around there, my pants were soaked up to my knees. It was totally worth it. Not only did I make away with a bunch of goodies (of which I bargained for in true Turkish fashion with Selim coaching me) from the bazaar, but I also saw about 4 mosques in the area, each time being reaquaitned with how soggy my pants were.

In the next couple days I'll hang out with some more friends and then....who knows? Everything is still up in the air.

Go with the flow, they say. I am enjoying hanging out with my Turkish friends here. They are so hospitable and making sure my every need is met. However, I have to admit that I'm anxious to get home and see my sweetheart again. I can't believe how heartsick I am!


1 Comments:

  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger nicole said…

    Yah, I went to Rustempasha, Suleymaniye, Sultanahmet (the Blue Mosque), and Beyazit. When I went to Sultanahemt, it was during a prayer time. It was the first time that I experienced this and also the first time I felt as comfortable in a mosque as I do in a church.

    My two favorite mosques were Suleymaniye and Sultanahmet. Their sheer size is astounding, like some of the great cathedrals. Suleymaniye survived a big fire some time ago and was renovated. I tried to imagine how much smoke damage the mosque suffered and how long it took to clean it up. It must have been quite an effort because it was only about 300 years ago that it happened and there isn't a trace of it anywhere.

    Well, I now know that I'm leaving Turkey on Saturday morning at the dark hour of 5:45. That means I'll have to be there at 3:45. If I remember correctly, that happened last time I left. I think I'll just camp out there Friday night.

    Three cheers for sleeping on airport benches!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here