Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Friday, October 01, 2004

Warning: shopoholic tendencies developing

It is so easy to shop in Turkey. I had been dreading buying a bra for a while now, but tonight Emma took me out and it was done in a painless and quick 6.8 minutes. Can you believe it? It was even mildy enjoyable.

The service in this country puts customer service in the States to shame. The restaurant at which I frequently eat dinner clears the plates almost immeditaley after I put the last morsel of food into my mouth. My empty teacup is cleared before it graces the saucer. When I was buying trousers one day, I didn't even have to leave the dressing room for a different size. In fact, the woman helping me was dissappointed when I came out before she could give me another pair.

Let me elaborate on the bra-shopping event.

Turkish bra sizes are not like American bra sizes, so I had no idea what mine was. I can't even remember my American bra size, come to think of it. We walked into this shop that sells nothing but underwear, and told the saleswoman my situation.

"Can I look?" she asked (in Turkish of course) and before I could comprehend what she asked me, touched two of her fingers underneath my breast for a split second and grabbed two bras. I was ushered into the dressing room, tried on three, and paid for it in less time than it takes to make an omlette. Stunning!

I will never shop in the States again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here