Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Teacher, teacher

Three days of lesson planning down! While it's still slow-going, I am feeling better about the whole thing. Last night I was beginning to feel a bit down, like I'll never make it through the first week. So I made up my mind to go on a long walk in the morning.

It did me a world of good! So friends, I reccommend throwing all your cares into your feet and start moving your body. If you can get to water, do so. Just looking at vast open areas of water has a calming effect (affect? effect? Oh my word, I'm supposed to be an English teacher and I don't know which one to use!) on the mind. Today I my stamina for planning and concentrating was much better. Also, reading all the lovely comments you all have written makes me so happy. I feel so loved!

Tomorrow night there is a surprise event planned for John and I. Well, it's not much of a surprise if we know about it, but apparently it's a BBQ where there will be a lot of people that are excited to meet us. I hear that they are especially interested in speaking with me because word got out that I'm not a fan of Bush. When I first got here, Emma confided to me that she wanted to have an American teacher on staff because many of the students have this misconception that all Americans like the man. She warned me that I should be prepared to answer questions about the political situation in the States. I was a bit surprised (and pleased) when she told me this, because I wasn't sure how much politics I would be able to be able to talk about. Not that I have that as an agenda, but I was thinking about it when I was thinking about which books I would be able to present in the classroom. Now I wish I had bought that book titled Bushisms by somebody or other.

Until next time, folks!

4 Comments:

  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger Kyle said…

    ¡Hey cool, you're a teacher now! Now you are an integral link in those Turkish student's understanding of American culture. Knowing you, I think that you're going to do great. Love,

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Nicole! I'm so glad your feeling better about the whole thing! I'm so proud of you for going! I love ya and miss you a bunch already! I hope things continue to go well! Just thought I'd write a quick Hello!
    Britt

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a wonderful journal - Especially liked hearing about the mosques - brings back memories. Can't wait to hear about your experiences at the "Underground Bazaar" in Istanbul - Happy teaching! Kathy P

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger Jenevieve said…

    Hey, Rady

    Sorry I haven't been in contact with you for a bit. I am emmersed in KOTESOL conference stuff these days. Seeing pics of Blue made me happy all day. He looks so cute! And his wife is gorgeous! Anyway, I am thinking about you a lot. Your blog has made me think about having my students set up blogs for class. I'll let you know the details later. I love you!

    Jellosleeve

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here