Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Saturday, September 18, 2004

I'm in Trabzon!

So as I already mentioned, it was difficult to sleep on the plane because I had a view of the coast pretty much the whole time. It looked just like all the maps I had been pouring over for months! No pictures cuz y'all misbehavin and not posting any comments. (wink wink) I tried to take a picture, but it just came out as a blue haze. I do have a photo of the view from my balcony in my new apartment!

View from my apartment in Trabzon

The little building to the right (and two unseen others on the left) used to belong to the forest managers way back when. Trabzon used to be much smaller. It's pretty hilly here because the mountains go all the way to the water. In fact, the hill that I have to walk up in order to get home is so steep that as soon as I walk in the living room the back of my legs ache. Stretching is a must! Gone are my worries about getting enough exercise.

I live with one other teacher, John, from Ireland. He's in his early fifties and just got back from a year in Saudi Arabia. The culture there was much more strict than it is here, so much so that he was surprised last night to see a group of women in a cafe without a man with them. Also in Saudi Arabia, the religious police make sure everyone is praying when they are supposed to. He has expressed some relief that the Turks are much more laid back.

Oh! One other thing for all of you worrying about earthquakes. Trabzon is not on a fault line, unlike the majority of the country, although it is possible to feel tremors from nearby. When I first got to Istanbul a few years ago, I had nightmares that a movie theatre would collaspe on me!

My job seems really laid back (although as far as teaching goes, I have a lot to learn). I have a feeling that once I get the hang of teaching that I'm going to have such a blast!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here