Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Friday, September 03, 2004

What will I miss about Madison, Wisconsin?

I am living in the moment more often lately, feeling the wind on my body as my bike pushes past cars, trees, and sidewalks. My poms tickle the underside of my forearms, almost making them itch. Going up a hill, sweat collects on my back, my breathing is deep and rhythmical, and my thighs are strong and aching. When I walk into my destination, still panting, I am aware that I probably smell of fresh BO. My favorite, though, is riding without a backpack, having my entire torso caressed by a breeze. On a humid night, such as last night, it is so refreshing, especially when I flew past the community garden plots. The air becomes a few degrees cooler, energizing my tired body and adding to the spicy food adrenaline rush that has kept me going for the past hour. I sometimes feel less like I'm riding a bike and more like I'm flying.

What else will I miss? So many things that it would be boring to list them all. Mostly though, I will miss randomly running to people I know, riding my bike, and watching the city grow. As I prepare to leave Madison, I know it will never be the same as it is now. Madison will change, as will I, bursting at the seams with conflict. Issues will come up, people will debate, things will happen. My hope is that change needn't mean disaster. As I enter a new country and a new job, my hope for myself is the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here