Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Bayram (bye-rahm)

Tomorrow is my last day of work for 9 days!

Ramazan is ending soon and there is a three day holiday to celebrate. Three days plus nothing doesn't equal nine, so how am I so lucky? The three days fall on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, which happens to be right in the middle of my work week. The weekend classes won't come for just one day, and the week classes won't come for one day either, so classes have been cancelled for Sunday and Wednesday. My weekend is Thursday and Friday. Added all up, it's this Thursday to next Friday. Yeehaw!

Last Friday, my student (and now friend) Neslihan, had me over for dinner again (photos coming). We had a great time! I told her that I'm planning on going to Cappadochia for Bayram and she gave me the phone number of a couple in a city a couple hours away, Konya. These friends have friends in Nevshehir, which is the biggest city near Cappadochia! Tomorrow she's taking me to the bus agency so I can get my bus ticket. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

I've been feeling a bit cooped up here in Trabzon. It's quite small compared to Istanbul, but at times I feel a bit cooped up because it's much more crowded than Madison. The streets are narrower, and the pollution smells different. I'm getting used to it, but open space will do me some good.

Also last Friday, I met a couple from Switzerland who rode their bikes here! It was great meeting them as we spoke German the whole time! They have a website which is in German, but check out their photograpghs. They have over 500! They are planning on going all the way to India cut back across Africa before heading home. They are avoiding the Arabian penninsula by taking a boat around it to get to Africa. I don't remember how they are getting to India though. All in all, they expect to be on the road for two years. Anyway, check it out. www.velocos.ch Monika and Robbie are really great photographers. Oh, "durch die Turkei" means "through Turkey".

Well, it's been an hour now since I started writing this post. See you after Bayram!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here