Nicole's Turkish Travels

my first independent adventure

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

I felt loved today!

Now that I have a few things to occupy myself with, the homesickness has subsided. It also helps that yesterday I got a postcard and a 6 page letter! Thanks to Maddy and Brittany :D

Today one of my co-workers showed me where the gym is. It's pretty small, but it has a pull-up bar, so three cheers for basement weight machine rooms! Three days a week the gym is open for women only. I'm allowed to go on the days that men go, but generally women don't go those days. Even so, I can hypothetically go to the gym six days a week! Yahoo! I've been feeling the need for some sort of exercise lately (besides walking). I really miss riding my bike. Hm, I don't recall seeing a stationary bike at the gym. . . oh well.

The best part about today was going to the gym. Bashak had made plans to meet one of her friends, so we picked her up first. Her name is Fatma and she was the first person to give me the familiar Turkish greeting (kissing each cheek). It was wonderful! Since arriving in Turkey, I have probably been hugged about 5 times, mostly during the first weekend. Back home, I probably got five hugs a day! After meeting each other, Fatma linked arms with me and all three of us walked to the gym. This was the best thing for me today.

Okay, it's a small event, but I'm counting everything these days.

Well, people. Tomorrow my weekend starts. Where shall I go? What shall I do? Who knows. I think I'll go the dolmush area and hop in a random one and see where it takes me. Adventure around every corner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Click Here